View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Friday 20 February 2009

Distance

Isn't it easy to sit at your computer, and read a blog. Or two. Or perhaps one hundred. Maybe even several hundred. That's how many are on my Google Reader. Many of us write down their lives on their blogs. Whether publicly or to a select few, we impart those bits of our lives to the world that we choose to disclose. Many a time, it is particularly at the darker moments of life that we write. And blogging being what it is, we appreciate comments left by friends, acquaintances or distant readers.

However.

How can you place yourself in the shoes of the writer. What makes you think you are selecting the right words and turn of phrase to suit the occasion. Well, it is fairly straightforward when you talk about a death in someone's circle. It is also fairly clear when a blogger says they have had a diagnosis of serious illness - or someone very near and dear has. You can't go far wrong there, can you? No, not really.

Where it can go very badly wrong is in situations where someone is discussing the challenges they face in life. Money may be tight. Relationships that are strained. Past events that are haunting them. Guilt, remorse.

Call me naive, but I'd think that in our blogging community, we are there to support each other. Seems there are exceptions to that rule. I can't believe that there are actually people who see fit to criticise the way someone has dealt with a situation in their life - to come to the point of this post (once more) - which they have described in a blog. How can you, exclusively through this medium, gauge what was right and wrong? I mean, how can you if you weren't there. And even if it was patently incorrect, what right does anyone have to criticise? Nobody.

Nobody whose blog I read fits the above bill. It applies to nobody that comments in this blog either. I am merely highlighting the shadowside of blogging, which sometimes peeps above the horizon of one or two blogs I come across.

7 comments:

  1. It bothers me, too, Guido, when I see that happening. Fortunately, I don't see it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't see that happening often in the blogs i visit, but it does happen occ, unfortunately.
    seems if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing...should be the rule, but it's not. :(
    we should not judge others in any way, as we really don't know what we'd do if we were in their shoes...we might think we do, but we don't.
    there's only One who can judge, so leave it to Him. He'll do it right!
    i'll never judge someone else, hopefully no one will judge me.
    huggies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see support as always agreeing, nor do I think it should be never saying anything if you disagree. I know there were some instances on AOL in the past where people actually attacked each other through comments & emails....that is very different, & very unfortunate. But I do think most people naturally judge some things as they are reading blogs, just like they judge the news that they hear or read, the articles in magazines & the books they purchase.

    If I read a post about how someone thinks C Anthony's mother is a lying baby killer, it is really the same thing. How do we know? But we do form opinions & share those opinions.

    I read something once that included a child being punished rather severely & one of the bloggers wrote: I Love Your Snags & Tags!
    I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I admit it, I am more judgmental than that.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you in the main, if I feel really strongly about something written and depending on who it s I might pen a short e-mail, but wouldn't leave argumentative comments on their blog, I do see the negative especially on AOL and was astounded at the venom pointed at people simply because they may not have expressed themselves clearly sometimes it's a matter of perception. If were going to put ourselves out in blogsphere we have to accept there will possibliy be some critism about the subjects you choose to write about.

    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with ... all of you ... in one form or another. I admit to honestly trying to support an on-line friend and to being completely confounded by what to say when maybe I'm not in agreement or I've read just a bit too much more than I want to know.

    We all walk a fine line out here. If we publicly disclose very private parts of our lives, we should be well aware that not everyone is going to like us, not everyone is going to agree with us and darn it ... some of them are going to tell us.

    It is part of the dark side of blogging. For myself, I try not to judge others and do my best to leave positive, upbeat comments ... if I can't, I don't comment.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had my share of naysayers and can only shake my head and ponder why are you reading if it's that offensive to you. I believe you can agree to disagree about opinions. Yet when it comes to someones life, leave the judgements at the door. I can almost guarantee whatever you may feel, most of us are good enough at punishing ourselves for our own mistakes. I've found it rather offensive being attacked in comments. To me it's drama. If the person truly means well email me, I've never hidden my email from anyone yet. (Hugs)indigo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ones that get me are people who say "I absolutely disagree with you and therefore I will NOT be reading your blog any longer." WOW! Because of ONE thing that they don't agree with they'll stop reading?? I suspect those people don't have many friends in "real life."

    ReplyDelete