View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Saturday 20 December 2008

Looking ahead

Early on Monday, I shall depart for Holland to spend Christmas and New Year with my father. As I've indicated before, it will be the first time he will spend either holiday alone following the death of my mother 8 months ago. I shall return to Stornoway on Monday 5 January 2009.

In the period I'm away from Lewis, this blog will feature a daily entry entitled "Remembering Today", which I shall set up tomorrow. You can schedule entries on Blogger to be published on a date in the future, so don't be surprised to see posts from me on Atlantic Lines from December 22nd until January 1st, a black date in Lewis history.

I am currently thinking about my activities, and that includes the Internet. At the moment, I spend too much time on the computer, much as though I enjoy that. Since we switched to Blogger, I have taken up with Facebook, which is an activity I may end up abandoning after the New Year. I am also not certain that I shall continue blogging on this blog. I set up Atlantic Lines following AOL's closure of our journals, which, like many of you, I found a traumatic experience. This blog covers a period marked by relationship problems, both on-line and in real life, underpinned by the continuing grieving for my mother - quite an unhappy episode to be truthful. The front picture, Dalbeg beach under looming clouds, is strangely evocative in that respect.

From next Tuesday, I shall make updates on my Dutch blog The Shell Gallery, until I return to Stornoway. I will not be calling round journals in that period, except for those mentioned in Call for Support. On 6 January 2009, I will make a final post on here, announcing my further intentions. You may want to prepare yourselves for my withdrawal from blogging for a protracted period of time.

5 comments:

  1. Guido, have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year 2009.
    My mother died on New Years Eve (30 years ago) at a party. Most of her family was with her at that time. Her last words as I recall were. "I am so sorry I am breaking up a good party". I think of her often but especially at midnight on New Years Eve.
    Like you, I am sure, I will never forget her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful visit Guido, you'll be back the day after this old woman's birthday. Be safe and I hope you decide to stay with us. Hugs Linda in snowy Washington

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guido sending hugs and strength. Please have a safe journey and know we will await your decision...
    Merry Christmas and my 2009 bring you wonderful things
    hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. G! You can't leave on the 6th! It's my birthday! (How's that guilt for you?)

    ::hug hug::

    ReplyDelete
  5. my best wishes for you guido. take care.mort

    ReplyDelete