View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Thursday 30 October 2008

Thursday 30 October


Quiet morning, with the odd shower and some beautiful cloudscapes. MV Muirneag (shown above) was late coming in this morning. Muirneag is our freight ferry, which leaves at 11.30pm each evening (except Saturday) to take lorries back and forth to Ullapool on the mainland. She normally returns at 8 am, but was an hour late this morning.
Muirneag is named after the hill shown below; it lies 5 miles west of North Tolsta, in the centre of Lewis.


Our usual ferry, the MV Isle of Lewis, carries out two sailings each day (except Sundays), leaving at 7.15 am and 1.45 pm. It takes 2 hours 45 minutes to make the 45 mile crossing to the mainland. Once there, Inverness is 55 miles away; 80 minutes by bus. The image below is how I see the ferry leave each afternoon just before 2 o'clock.


I shall be on board her tomorrow morning at 7.15, as I leave for my trip to Holland. It will take me about 18 hours to reach there, travelling via Inverness and Aberdeen before flying into Amsterdam. I'll be blogging on the Shell Gallery until my return to Stornoway on November 5th. I shall resume blogging here the next day.

Meanwhile, I'll probably find something else to write about before today is out.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a good trip. 18 hours is a long time to be traveling. I'll watch for entries in your other journal. 'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete