View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Sunday 27 July 2014

Tuesday 22 July

There was no broadband service today, due to a fault in the BT exchange at Gairloch, on the mainland. All telephone and broadband service is provided to the island via microwave link, which seems to have failed.

I paid another visit to the Eye cemetery, where I chatted to the gravedigger about my own activities. He pointed me to another stone I had missed previously, and told the story of a village boy of 14 who went to join up in Inverness during WW1. He managed to persuade everybody he was 18, until he met the recruiting sergeant. He said to him in Gaelic: "Go back to school, I know fine you're 14. You're my neighbour's son".

P7222291 Cruiseliner Adonia
P7222293
P7222299 P7222300

No comments:

Post a Comment