View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Friday 1 June 2012

Friday 1 June

Another day of the bright and sunny variety, with some cloud out and about. The northeasterly wind continues to make it feel cold outside, although in the lee and in the sun it does feel quite pleasant.

The news is dominated by the Jubilee Weekend. Here in Stornoway, bunting has been strung along the railings along South Beach, the main street on the seafront. I'm not aware of anything major being organised here (I stand to be corrected), although a streetparty has been organised in Laxdale. On Monday, beacons will be lit on the Arnish Point peninsula as well as in Ness and on the Clisham, our highest hill. Her nibs is having a do, it would seem. Unfortunately, the temperature in London looks set to take a nosedive, with rain and 10C forecast for Sunday. Think I'll watch it all on the box.

Although I did not attend, this week saw the Local Mod. As you may recall from my blog postings in October of last year, the Mod is a showcase for Gaelic culture in this part of the world, and I found a large group of small children outside the Town Hall, where they had been performing. The performances include singing, dancing, declamation and instrumental performances, e.g. the melodeon, clarsach and others. Five years ago, I attended some of the prelims and recorded the results. You can hear some of those recordings from this page. I never cease to be amazed by the gusto and confidence with which the tiniest tots (as young as 5) strut their stuff on the stage, in front of an audience of more than 100 at times.


1 comment:

  1. Yes Guido it's such a shame the weather has changed,for the coming week.Lots of things going off around my district,organised events etc.So many one doesn't know which to choose to go to.It all looks like being a very happy few days ahead for many people.Tiny tots don't seem to fear the stage,I know this through my own two Grandaughters, who are both Dances and have been since 3 yrs old.The eldest now 18 and still dancing and the youngest ten and same.I hope you enjoy your watching in,of the BIG event.It's not too pleasant when the weather is poor is it? Have a good evening Guido.Take Care God Bless Kath xx Still laughing at her nibs heeeee xx

    ReplyDelete