View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Thursday 27 January 2011

Auschwitz Memorial Day

Today it is 66 years ago since the infamous Auschwitz Birkenau concentration camp was liberated by Soviet forces. More than a million people, mainly Jews, were killed there during the Second World War. The process was conducted as an industrial process. To date, some of the goods left behind by the victims of the Holocaust remain on display. These include suitcases with name tags, spectacle frames, hair and shoes. I have never visited Auschwitz and am not likely to. January 27th is Holocaust Memorial Day, remembering all the victims of the Nazi's policy of extermination of all those they considered to be sub-human. We must never forget. 

2 comments:

  1. Some thing that should never ever happen again ,and should be remembered for the evil it was ,...and this happened in my life time ...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about this when I was in my early teens. I could not believe man's inhumanity to man. It was just unfathomable to me. We are all part of the human race regardless of creed or colour.
    I don't think I could ever visit the memorial either. I for one will never forget what I read about those times. Please God let lessons be learned.
    May God rest their souls.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete