View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Sunday 10 January 2010

Sunday 10 January

A brilliantly sunny day, which has seen the mercury up to 4C this afternoon. Last night, we had rain and as the night saw a slight frost, this has turned all untreated roadsurfaces into sheet ice. I encountered that problem when I set out to visit the cemetery at Sandwick, about 20 minutes' walk from my position. To cut a long story short, I was unable to access the graveyard. The path that runs in front of it was 5 feet of slippery ice which I was not prepared to negotiate. I had to walk along the beach (not easy with the pebbles there) as the path was impassable. Quite dangerous, really. Nonetheless, I got my breath of fresh air; I'll return to Sandwick when the ice has gone. Even within the graveyard, all the paths had iced up, and I would have been unable to make my way through.


The iced-over path


Sandwick Cemetery


View down the Minch

2 comments:

  1. You were wise to stay off the ice for sure. It is still very cold here and I'm staying off the ice too. Thankfully the roads are nice and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't attempt to do any more walkabouts !! There has been a slight thaw here today as well. Now expect frost again overnight. But I am more hopeful at being able to get the car out tomorrow to do some shopping ..we have cancelled guild as we thought we might have more snow overnight...
    Love for now sybil

    ReplyDelete