View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Saturday 31 October 2009

A year ago today

All our blogs were being erased from AOL's servers. A few days ago, Yahoo closed down their Geocities websites, but at least they were being archived. Our journals were summarily deleted. Why they could not just be archived as well is beyond me. The result has been a depletion of regular bloggers, if only because a large number of us have moved on to Facebook and a few to Twitter. Others have simply stopped blogging. A great shame, and very poor customer service from AOL.

Anyway, let's not look back in anger, and move forward.

Tomorrow is All Hallows, when we remember those that went before us. Let us keep in thought those who are trying to come to terms with a loss of a loved one, whether this be recently or in the more distant past.

8 comments:

  1. I was thinking of this anniversary too.... We would have been trick or treating through JLand today.... :)
    Here's to new memories.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes lots of memories of AOL journals. Thanks for reminding us. Hope your Halloween was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How well I remember! I did mangage (with help) to get my AOL journal transferred but we were down in California and I was in panic mode for about a week and a half. Some aspects of Blogger are better and then there are some that are not. I find if I have a lot of pictures, I have to use Windows Live Writer to create an entry and not tear out my hair. Clocks are turned back...Linda in WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder, I'd almost forgotten. It really seems like YEARS ago that we lost JLand!! I do miss it!! Just not the same anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AS alwasy Gudeo I agree with you about AOL I do miss it so much.
    Yes all Hallows day has come round again. we always have a special service at church in the evening when we invite all who have been bereaved to come along. And have a special time of remembering with thanks all their special people. I will be thinking of your Mother as well.
    Love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad. I sure do miss JLand. I have to admit that I stopped blogging because I did not feel that warm and fuzzy feeling that I had over at JLand. But I am back. I will be blogging regularly here on blogger. I posted 2 new blogs today. G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to be back and will be checking out all the blogs of my followers and catching up I hope!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've committed myself to blogging all month. I have to admit that I miss the old J-Land more than I thought I would when we first had to move, but that's not what has kept me from blogging recently. Anyway, we deal with what we're given, don't we?

    ReplyDelete