View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 23 February 2009

Zimbabwe

I just did not believe my eyes today, when the BBC reported that more white-owned farms in Zimbabwe had been seized by supporters of president Robert Mugabe. It is precisely the seizure of those white-owned farms that has led to the current food crisis. I can only describe as an act of breathtaking lunacy, to continue a policy which has been proven to be catastrophic in its consequences. Even though Mr Mugabe came to power by ousting a white racist regime, that of Ian Smith, those whites who elected to stay behind were prepared to work for the people of their country. There was a time that Zimbabwe could sustain itself in terms of food. Taking over those farms has destroyed that capability. I despair.

3 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the word Zimbabwe I came to your blog. That country's plight since that dictator took over has had me very concerned by how fast a country in relatively good shape could regress with the revengeful thinking of a leader. Just goes to show you that righteous indignation is not enough to be a leader good for everybody, more somebody whose intellect is not ruled by violent emotions, I would say. So now we will see what will come of this latest action from this man's influence that I thought was gone from power. Evidently not. As long as thinkers like him, rule there will be more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work with a mature black Zimbabwean student and he told me that life had be far better under Ian Smith`s rule than the despot Mugabe. He said his country, once known as the breadbasket of Africa is now the basketcase...

    Love Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((Guido))
    I have also been following this disgusting turn in Zimbabwe. The NY Times under Times Topics has some really great information and articles.
    Did you know that the actress Charlene Therone is from Zimbabwe. If I'm not mistaken, they came to the US while Ian Smith was in office (I think).
    Thanks as always for your sweet support :)
    Huggers, Gayla

    ReplyDelete