View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 23 February 2009

Monday 23 February

Overcast, grey and drizzly. It's quite mild outside, about 11C, which I also found out when I went to the Post Office and other shops earlier this morning. It was actually pretty busy in the town, by Stornoway standards.

Do I care about the Oscars? No. A film is never as good as the book it is based upon.

An animal disease, bluetongue, is slowly marching north through the United Kingdom. The disease is carried by mosquitoes, and has become prevalent in continental Europe. Discussions are going on whether vaccinations should be carried out in the Western Isles, which are 20 to 60 miles from the Scottish mainland. In the last week of March, the Chief Vet for Scotland will attend meetings in Stornoway and Benbecula to hear the views of crofters, who do not feel that it is necessary to have these vaccinations. This link carries the official policy from the UK Department for Food and Rural Affairs.

Edit: The link mentions midges, rather than mosquitoes. They are different species of insect, and I'll try to find out which is actually the carrier

4 comments:

  1. Did not even turn them on, we watched Blood Diamond instead :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch them either. I agree the books are always better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did watch them this year because I've seen several of the movies that were up for awards this year. Actually saw 'Slumdog Millionaire' last week. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' was another excellent film that won several awards. And Hugh Jackman was a delightful host, one of the best ever. With all the below freezing weather we've had this winter I'm hoping that a lot of the nuisance insects will be few & far between. Watch your mailbox.....Linda in WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do take notice of the Oscars Guido but wouldn`t ever watch them as I find the acceptence speeches a bit too much. I`m glad a British film did so well this year.

    Love Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete