View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Wednesday 10 December 2008

Wednesday 10 December

Another great day for cloudscapes, even if the temperatures are not all that great: 5C / 41F. No prospects of that getting any higher soon, if anything, there is an advance warning of heavy snow fall in the north and east of the UK on Saturday.

Cathy (Dare to Think) had an interesting entry yesterday on the issue of the space-time continuum. Some 15,000,000,000 years ago, the Big Bang occurred, creating space and time. Echoes of that event still reverberate around the universe, which led Cathy to believe that you could get flashbacks from times past. She imagined that in December 2088, her home would be a park, and anyone passing through the park could come across a ghostly lady sipping cappucino tapping away at a computer keyboard, the way it was in December 2008.

I do not agree with that notion. In my opinion, there is only one constant in the Universe, and that is time. It marches forward at a set pace, which cannot be altered, stopped or reversed. It is the 4th dimension. Anything that has happened in the past cannot be changed, because it would have repercussions on the here and now. I'll give an example from my perspective here in Lewis.

In 1919, a troopship (HMY Iolaire) sank outside the harbour at Stornoway, drowning more than 200. As a result, a young man in one of the villages was forbidden from ever going to sea. He eventually emigrated to Canada, married and had children and grandchildren. Reading about the tragedy, one of the grandchildren contacted me, saying that without the tragedy she would never have been born. Point I'm making is that should someone (be able to) return to 1919 and alter the course of the Iolaire, this would have profound and immediate implications here and now. The lady I'm speaking about would cease to exist, e.g..

As for events leaving an imprint for posterity, well, I'm afraid I do not buy that either. Noise leaves an echo, correct. Events have consequences, and we see those consequences on a daily basis. But, in contradiction to Cathy's theory, atoms and molecules behave in a random fashion (called entropy), and only congregate as a result of random interactions, which, as a result of the laws of physics, lead to events. What went before is lost. A water molecule does not remember that it has fallen out of a cloud of other H2O molecules, into a huge basin of more H2O, imbibed by a bag of bones and flesh called a human being, and passed out again by said human being.

An attempt at philosophy. Feel free to take pot shots.

9 comments:

  1. Hello! I am so glad I was able to find you! I was without a computer for a while and when I came back JLand was GONE!! I am slowly finding everyone again and am so happy!!! I will be spending some time tryin to catch up with everything. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Guido. Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one way to look at it. In Slaughter House Five Kurt Vonnegut wrote that everything is happening simultaneously. I don't think I would like that as I am wired for uni-directional time--the FIRST dimension, without which the other dimensions would not exist.

    Time is a point; length, a line is the Second Dimension; square, width or bredth is the Third; cube, depth is the Fourth. The Fifth Dimension is a tesseract or a singing group. (When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars....)

    ;^) Jan the Gryphon
    http://gryph-wotd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I think there may be more to the story, more than we'll ever know. I believe it's entirely possible that our brains produce an energy that leaves its imprint on places. I don't necessarily believe in ghosts--I've never seen one--but I do believe in their possibility.

    As for the time-space continuum, I also believe in the possibility of alternate realities and different timelines. I think our knowledge of our universe is limited at best, and there is much to learn.

    Besides, I'm a Star Trek fan, so I have to believe in the possibility of all that stuff. ;)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever been in a new house, old house, unhappy house etc. and felt the atmosphere. The last i heard there was about 12 different dimensions.
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting and this subject has always been mind boggling to me. I have always wanted to believe time travel existed but I don't subscribe to the belief of a time machine. I would go back to the days of the wild west, if I were to say there are past lives that must be where I once existed.

    Dimensions, time, space....they are all too much for my little mind to grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It`s all a bit complicated for me Guido, I have wondered about time and space etc. but I also end up as confused as when I started. However, I do wonder why there are so many `unworldly` things that can`t be easily explained away.

    Love Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear Guido,
    you are talking about events in my way of thinking: not time.
    You might want to rent "sliding Doors"; it's a fetching movie about what would happen if events were slightly altered...
    I think that "time" is a human construct to help we humans deal with infinity by breaking it into "our little bites" ....
    interesting topic Guido!
    hugs and I hope your holidays are growing merrier
    love,natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very interesting Guido, and I thank you for directing me back into the world of Enrico Fermi and thermodynamics. (I also thank you for forcing me to re-read my entry and see where I left out a digit (1) very important lol.) Anyway as to time itself, which is lateral, perhaps in a chaotically ordered universe would certainly be a tangible thing we could quantify - I was thinking more in the area of simple energy emmissions leaving their mark on the fabric of lateral time. And I don't see why I wouldn't be here if my grandmother, perhaps, had drowned in her youth. I wouldn't be Cathy Rapicano but my consciousness might be contained in another bag of blood and bone, no? That's definitely opening "a can of worms" but again as to time, since it can be quantified, seen, felt, manipulated, destroyed, and of course, created, all this happening at the millionth of a second when space became measureable, I think they're connected in a very primal way, one affecting the other. I believe I can affect tomorrow, that being a time not yet in existence here in my dimension but perhaps already having occurred decades ago in another. Time is so so relative lol and I could go on for hrs, I'll spare you that and leave this for another...dare I say it...time? :-)

    ReplyDelete