View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Wednesday 10 December 2008

Euthanasia

A widely publicised programme is currently being aired on a satellite TV channel, showing a man as he is assisted to die. Leaving to one side the question whether it is in good taste or decency to show someone's death on television, it does highlight the problems surrounding euthanasia in the UK.

In Holland, euthanasia has been regulated since the late 1970s, following a test-case. When someone expresses the desire to have their life terminated, a second medical opinion is sought. All options are discussed with the patient, and when both doctors are satisfied that there is no prospect of improvement of the condition, and that quality of life will only deteriorate, euthanasia can be arranged. Following the death of the patient, the doctor will fill out a death certificate and notify the judicial authorities of an unnatural death. If the public prosecutor is satisfied that the euthanasia has met all the required critera, no prosecutions will follow.

Euthanasia is naturally a subject of high emotion and potential for pitfalls and abuse. Whether the Dutch model would work in the UK is open for debate. There are those in favour and opposed to the practice. At present, anyone in Great Britain wishing to end their life will have to attend a clinic in Switzerland. Should euthanasia be carried out in the UK, prosecution will follow for those assisting the patient in ending their life.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Guido
    what an interesting post! I have heard about euthanasia in Holland of course . They say that it is harder to get approval for now than it used to be...
    I wonder what the clinic in Switzerland is supposed to do?
    I love the pictures! great Guido!
    hugs,nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Guido,
    please could you tell someone to put a support line in for Laini in that support blog you started? She has some ailment but she does not know how bad it is ,etc.
    thank you
    love,nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear Guido
    It's called "its a Reel Thing
    laini and mark
    thanks!
    nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it should be allowed. I've always felt that way. I think that under certain circumstances, everyone should be able to make that decision, and get help with it.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it the dutch method that Margo McDonald is trying to get implemented in Scotland??? I can't remember which countries method it is she thought would work here...I know it wasn't swiss one though...I dunno if am for or against it to be honest

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read about this today and found it very interesting and wish we had the ability to view the progam here in the States.

    I am in favor of human euthanasia. We are applauded for showing our pets compassion and doing "the best thing" so they do not suffer. Don't our loved ones deserve the same?

    I watched my grandmother literally suffocate from emphysema, it was the worst thing I've ever seen. Had they offered this to us at the time I would have gladly accepted. Watching her suffer was so painful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've researched both sides for a project in college, and am STILL indecisive about euthanasia. It's the Christian side of me that is against it, because after all, it's not up to US to play God, HOWEVER the other side of me that doesn't want people to suffer understands and agrees with the concept and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. of course, it is only my opinion, but i believe that only God can take someone when it is their time. i have been through a lot in my life, but have never suffered severe pain and loss of quality of life, so my opinion could change if that were the case. i just can't see "putting down" a human being that God brought into this world.

    be blessed,

    regina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not against any informative programme but I hope the opposing view get as much air-time to balance the discussion for viewers.
    I have performed euthanasia for animals when I was a practising Vet. The meaning of the word is 'easy death'. I never found this procedure easy. I believe that when we domesticated any animal we took the place of nature and must therefore pick up the responsibility to ensure no animal in our care has prolonged suffering with no hope of recovery.
    The simple question is who do we want to care for us in such a dire situation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe life isn't ours to take but do understand why someone would want to. I thought i had heard that this method in Holland was open to abuse and people felt obliged to not be a nuisance and go, but i may be wrong.
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  11. against. and there are definite reasons. i'm too tired to put more into the conversation, just wanted to say "i'm against eughanasia, for excellent reasons." anyone who wants to know why can contact me!
    Krissy :)
    visit my main blog: Sometimes I Think
    Hey Jlanders! Please post your blogs in the Directory of Blogs: from jland to blogger

    ReplyDelete