If you are using the Internet Explorer browser (any version), you are advised to take precautions. A major security flaw has been uncovered, which renders the computer vulnerable to attack. Other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Safari) are not affected. It is thought possible that through the attack, passwords could be illegally retrieved from the machine. More info on the BBC website, I'll summarise the security advice from Microsoft.
- Change IE security settings to high (Look under Tools/Internet Options)
- Switch to a Windows user account with limited rights to change a PC's settings
- With IE7 or 8 on Vista turn on Protected Mode
- Ensure your PC is updated
- Keep anti-virus and anti-spyware software up to date