View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 15 December 2008

Darkness has fallen

The sun set at half past three this afternoon, but invisible to us here in Stornoway. It has been blowing a near-gale all day, and the ferry had a hell of a time crossing from Ullapool. MV Isle of Lewis has stayed in port here, and is not setting forth again until the morning - weather permitting.

Helen's news struck a chord with me, hence the terseness of my note on Call for Support. My mother, as you know, passed away on 1 May last; her mother died last Friday. This coming Christmas and New Year aren't going to be easy on anyone who has suffered a bereavement this year - or any year. Those newly widowed will feel the emptyness and loneliness keenly, as will their children.

5 comments:

  1. You are so right, Guido. My mother died on Dec. 26, 1975. It has been a good many years, but it always brings a sad thought to my mind at Christmas-time. She had cancer, and was in a coma for several days, so we knew she would be going soon. It was a very sad Christmas for my sister and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Guido, Gee
    I didn't know about Helen's mother passing...
    May I offer my Deepest Condolences
    to her and her family.
    Hey Guido how are you doing?
    I'm thinking of you and hope that your Holidays will be happy!
    Are you going to Holland this year?
    hugggggggggggggggggggggs
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are always in my thoughts. Yes, the holidays sure are tough and for you, i know they'll be sad too. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. The holidays are always rough after the loss of a loved one. Hope you're dad & you are doing well. If your mom was like mine, she'd want you to have a happy time and not be sad. Got some mail from you~thanks! Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  5. The holidays, especially the first one after a loss seems to be the hardest. My deep sympathy goes to you so much and to Helen. My father passed a little over twenty years ago and it is barely easier as of this writing.
    I wish you happiness and peace and some joy and fun always. Moms always want that for their children.
    Nelishia

    ReplyDelete