View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Saturday 6 December 2008

Saturday 6 December

Bright day, but with a steady procession of showers. We had a mild overnight frost, -1C. Mercury currently at 6C, which sparks off the showers. Tomorrow should be a little milder still.


Yesterday saw the 50th anniversary of the introduction of motorways in England, with the opening of the Preston by-pass in what is currently the M6 motorway. That road is now part of an all-motorway link between London and Glasgow, using the M1, M6 and M74. Don't have fond memories of the northern section, after travelling down it in 1981 in atrocious weather conditions and encountering smash after smash between Lockerbie and Carlisle. The trans-Pennine A66 (Penrith to Scotch Corner) is also blackmarked in my book, when (on the same journey) that road was littered with accidents as well. I never seen so many smashed caravans as on that 500 mile journey from Glasgow to London, 27 years ago.

In 1958, there were no speedlimits. Nowadays, there are (70 mph), but in my experience, the unwritten speedlimit seems to be 80 mph. If you do do 70, you're holding up the traffic!

3 comments:

  1. everyone always goes faster then what is posted...
    hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not overly fond of motorways myself. There are some crazy drivers out there.
    We've had lovely weather today, bright and sunny. Even though I have a rotten cold, been out in my T.shirt today.
    Take care Guido.
    Hugs
    Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very cold day here. An Alberta Clipper is headed our way. Gusting winds from out of Alberta Canada will bring some snow and very frigid temps. My DS#2 was stationed in England for 3 years and talked about the motorways and how fast everyone went. Here we have lower speed limits and get ticketed when we fail to observe them. I don't like giving them my money so I do stick to the speed limit for sure.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete