View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Thursday 6 November 2008

Thursday 6 November

Overcast and cool day out here, which I spent recovering from my journey yesterday.

A fishing boat has sunk south of Point, in Lewis, but the crew managed to get into liferafts before the vessel went down. The Coastguard alerted nearby shipping, and another fishing boat came to the rescue within minutes.

I congratulate Barack Obama on his victory in the US presidential elections. He has a huge burden of expectation to live up to, as well as tackling the current economic problems and the two wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I wish him wisdom and foresight in bearing the mantle of responsibility that comes with high office.

When in Holland, I watched a consumer programme on TV about special nutritional supplements which were endorsed by health charities. In fact, the same charities did not really believe the supplements (yoghurt type things e.g.) were any good, but were happy to accept the 200k Euro fee they received for having their name mentioned on the relevant products.

4 comments:

  1. Hello over there~ Good to hear from you. I think I can speak for all Americans "We're glad the elections are over!" The non stop barrage of commercials on radio & TV plus the piles of flyers and phamplets that come in the mail are enough to push a normally sane person over the edge. Take care Linda in Washington

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guido, making time to read is what I find myself having to do, if I've any hope of getting caught up or keeping up with the voracious bunch of writers!

    I want to thank you too for all of your efforts on our behalf during the move... my friend Walt's journal did make it over and his widow is pleased to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you are home again safe and sound ,dont like to hear about ships sinking ,Ithink a healthy balanced diet is best dont you ? ..love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to hear you are back home safe & sound. I hate when a person or entity puts their name to something just to get $$$ out of it. It is so sleezy and dishonest.

    ReplyDelete