View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Thursday 6 November 2008

AOL Binned

I have shifted all my emails from my pharmolo account on AOL, by putting them in the Inbox, mark them as unread and wait for the next time Gmail picks them up in its POP3-sweep. In an hour's time, I'll have 845 new emails in there, which I'll have to organise.

Everybody in my contacts will get a notice to contact me on my Gmail account, rather than on AOL. As I already indicated above, Gmail picks up any stuff in pharmolo.

Following the demise of journals, video uncut as of Sunday and pictures from 31 December, AOL will most likely cease to exist in the next few months. No official word, just my hunch. Better start making preparations, if you haven't already.

8 comments:

  1. What do you mean your GMail sweeps? I have a gmail account but haven't done much with it. I am not trying to sound stupid here but why will you have all of those emails there? I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, what a nightmare. I didn't have a clue about the demise of Uncut videos. Oh well....thanks for the update. Linda in rainy, windy Washington

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just moved everything out of my 'saved on AOL' tonight. If AOL goes will that mean we won't be a be able to get on the internet at all without starting over with a new provider, new router etc.
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the the end of next week I shall also be rid of AOL, having finally got my MAC code from them ..it only took 4 weeks I'l be moving to another ISP provider etc, just need to move my e-mail addresse over. Perhaps yu could write something in simple terms and I can put it in the help journal.

    Yasmin
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guido, Like Lisa I've had a g-mail account for some time now. Just as I thought I was finished with the switch. I guess we will have to wait and see. Thanks for the "heads-up".
    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I tell you that I have a Gmail acct?! same name..just an 'at gmail dot com' instead of AOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had an email saying Uncut videos was going. I shan't bother saving mine, I've still got them on the computer. I don't think AOL will shut down completely, they're still taking people on the AOL Talk option but I think they're just cutting back their services they provide to a basic internet service. There's job cuts going on all over the place, AOL is no exception. Jeannette xx http://jeannettesnewtravels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I do not know how it will affect us if they do go. I mean we are owned by Carphone Warehouse. I wish I understood Gmail but I do not. I know you have to download it and a little envelope appears on your toolbar but I do not understand about transferring email etc. It has all been such a nightmare lately.

    ReplyDelete