View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Sunday 9 November 2008

Remembrance Sunday

As I have done over the past 19 years, I watched the Remembrance Sunday ceremony in Whitehall, London, at 11 a.m. this morning. Although I'm not British, I do feel it imperative to mark this occasion, as British and Commonwealth forces played no mean part in the liberation of Western Europe, and my native Holland in particular, in the Second World War.

As an extension of this, I built an on-line memorial to First World War casualties from the Isle of Lewis. Although the title banner proclaims it to be Armistice Tribute 2007, it is of course timeless. Have a browse.

4 comments:

  1. I always watch it as well Guido. I have not done a memorial tribute, just added to the one I did on Friday. Will check out the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will remember all our veterans on Tuesday, November 11th here in the states. All those past and present. It is good to remember and I'll be praying for them as well as those in the path of the Hurricanes. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. think its vital we never forget guido. too many died. still are dying come to that. take care mort

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such an important day....to remember those who died serving our countries. Thank you for the link, I will indeed watch.

    Pooh Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete