View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 27 October 2008

Told you

Dear AOL Pictures user,

In order to offer you a more comprehensive online photo service, we will be closing down AOL Pictures on 31 December 2008.

We have partnered with Pixum, one of Europe’s leading and multi-award winning independent online photo service providers, to provide all AOL Pictures customers with a free, improved and fully integrated ‘one-stop’ online photo service.

To ensure that you keep all of your photos, we recommend that you transfer your photos to the new photo service before 31 December 2008. Go and transfer your photos to our new photo service provided by Pixum and get up to 100 prints for free!*

Please note that to transfer your photos you will have to sign up for a Pixum account. By selecting the transfer option, you consent that your name, email address and AOL Screen Name are encrypted and sent to Pixum to facilitate the registration and the transfer of your photos.

Alternatively, you can download your photos to your computer.

You need to ensure you have either transferred your photos to the new photo service provided by Pixum or downloaded them to your computer by 31 December 2008. After this time, the site will be permanently closed and you will not be able to access your photos through AOL Pictures. So, do please ensure that you act now and go to AOL Pictures for continued access to your photos or to save your photos on your computer.

To have a look at the new photo site provided by Pixum, please click here.
To Learn more about Pixum, click here.

We hope to see you on our new site soon!

Sincerely,

Your AOL Pictures Team

14 comments:

  1. What will be next i wonder.
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guido, I visited the site and liked it. I registered and then went to the transfer site to move AOL to Pix and it told me my name did not exist. Any ideas.
    I will try again later. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just knew AOL were going to do this - I am glad now that I transferred to Sky broadband - its faster too!!!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this comes as no surprise to me. I've been slogging through anything I use on AOL trying my best to get it all on my own PC and then to heck with it.

    :::sigh:::

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh do you mean the 'my pictures 'feature ?,what ever next ,I think the sooner we move on the better except that we recently struck up a deal with them to have our phone with them that is a years contract ,I feel they have broken the contract ,taking away my journal what do you think Guido ?...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. you a betting man guido??? ten quid says its chatrooms next. IM service after that. oh well. you write a great journal,i dont often comment guido,but i always enjoy when i visit take care and many thanks for all your helpful advice this past year mort

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got this e. mail today Guido.I am just putting whatever I want to keep back onto my computer and then onto discs.Aol are useless I have lost pacience with them over the last few weeks my phonebill was much much more this time having to ring them for disconnections etc.On top of my expensive subscription monthly I feel we are being robbed and stared in the face. Take Care Kath

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then why the hell did they get us all running around like headless chickens saving our photos. I spent hours saving mine and then deleted all my aol pictures. I even went through File Manager and saved all my graphics and photos before spending around two hours deleting every single one of them when now it is not going to be until December.
    Like Jan I am tied into a contract, had to do it when I downgraded and I certainly feel that they have broken their contract with me. Part of their services were journals and pictures and they have deprived us of both! Aol sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never really used AOL pictures, but it might be interesting to check out a different photo option site. Thanks for the heads up.(Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi guido, got that email today too. I didn't use that feature, bad for those who di, something else for them to deal with. Will AOL go completely do you think?
    take care mrs t xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. sheesh
    I do not get this address as real!
    hugs
    nat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will take a look but I am happy with Flickr and now Adobe is offering a free photo site- one of my photography mags recommended the site. I don't know if I've read this right but I don't want to have anything to do with something AOL has their paws in...I just don't trust them at all anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just visited Pixum, it seems to be only be available to the UK.

    Sorry for the additional comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At least it's not the same closing down date as the journals. Technological changes aren't as easy for some of us who are no longer teenagers:) Thanks and while Pixum may only be available in the UK, I'm sure I can find snapfish or another outlet, and, likely SHOULD have, anyway, all along. Thanks as always, Guido.

    ReplyDelete