View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 28 September 2015

Blogging anniversary #11

On 28 September 2004, I was seated in the common area of Kirkwall Youth Hostel, and had my half hour on the communal computer. At the time, I was user of AOL, and discovered their blogging service Journals. I opened a blog (or journal) and named it Northern Trip. At the time, I had been on the road for about seven weeks, and was coming to the end of my four week stint in Orkney. I returned there, for those interested, four years later, in different circumstances. A fortnight later, I found myself in Kyleakin, in Skye (see pic below), and decided to start making daily entries in my blog. The first entry refers to people going swimming in the sea at Kyleakin, which today sends shivers down my spine. Last week, a man went missing doing just that, and his body was discovered last Wednesday a few miles away to the north. From Kyleakin, I went to Eigg, Rum, Lochaber and finally the Western Isles, which greeted me on November 10th. My entry into Lochmaddy was one to be forgotten, and my eleven year stint here has not been without hitches. But then, what would life be without its challenges. Four years after opening Northern Trip, AOL closed it down and I switched to Blogger to open Atlantic Lines. A transfer to Facebook followed shortly, and I am now mostly 'blogging' on Facebook. I kept this blog going mostly as a photoblog, but have recently taken to writing longer postings here, something that Facebook is less suitable for. What the future holds is not clear for me at this stage. I have enjoyed 11 years of blog, and hope to add many years to that.

Kyleakin, Skye, October 2004

3 comments:

  1. A very happy blogging anniversary to you ! Isn't it amazing the changes that have happened in 11 years. You do a great job of photography there and have some nice views for sure. Hope you do have many more things to share in the years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was prompted by Bea asking me if I still blogged and I had to tell her 'not for some time now'. Facebook is like a 'ready meal', easy, and a fast way to keep in touch. The deeper more meaningful moments in our journals are overlooked for a 'fast fix' at getting in touch with friends. It is compulsive and easy to keep in touch, compared with Blogger these days. I do miss JLand. There was nothing to compare that ethos which we all emanated in our entries. I'mm so glad you are still being 'old faithful', and are there whenever I make a visit.

    ReplyDelete