View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Saturday 8 March 2014

Winter Paralympics

The opening ceremony for the Winter Paralympics was held in Sochi yesterday. One piece of music struck me as supremely ironical, if not (as my friend Daan suggested) cynical. "The Grand Gate at Kiev". The athletes will be doing their level best for the next eight days or so. The closing ceremony will be held on Sunday, 16th March.

On Sunday, 16th March, this referendum will be held in Crimea whether to secede from Ukraine and join the Russian Federation. So far, Ukraine has not reacted to the armed provocation by the Putin's Russia, thereby preventing a disaster. Thus far. However, we all know what the outcome of the Crimean referendum will be - to join Russia. Ukraine has said it will not let go of Crimea. I've marked Sunday 16th March in my diary, and I barely dare look.

No comments:

Post a Comment