View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Tuesday 15 November

As I said in last night's entry, seven years ago I arrived in Lewis from North Uist. And I'm still here. At the time, I had just left Lochmaddy and was making my way north through Berneray. I went on to stay at Kershader for 3 months, then relocated to Stornoway.

MPs have voiced their disapproval of a proposed increase in fuel prices, set to come into effect in two months' time. Certainly in the Scottish islands, fuel prices have gone through the roof. At present, we're paying between £1.44 and £1.53 a litre here in Stornoway (that is up to $9.30 a gallon for American readers), which is held to be crippling. Although we have a good public transport network, many people still rely on their own vehicles to get about. And in October, fares on the local buses were raised as a result of those high fuel prices. The Commons motion I mentioned is not binding on the Government, so the price hike looks set to proceed next January.

Today was a beautiful day in Stornoway, although not very warm. There was hardly any wind, and we had a beautiful sunset. At 4pm. Yes, it's mid-November.

3 comments:

  1. So many of us are pleased that you decided to stop in Stornaway...where would be without our Guido stories and views..
    It has been a wonderful November down here with temp.s well above normal, we must remember it when the cold dreich days do arrive..
    Off to Bath today to get my new specs!!!..lets hope they work well..and I get used to them very quick as I will be driving home in them !! watch out traffic on A4 around lunch time LOL
    love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny where life takes us sometimes. For me I've been living in the same place for most of my life. I do appreciate seeing places where others are though and have enjoyed many of the sights you share with us all. The price of fuel for our cars has been ranging in the 3 dollar something range and even rising to 4 something this year but that is nothing compared to what you experience. There is very little public transport available where i live and I am thankful I can still afford it and go where I need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I complain about our $3+ gas prices; I can't imagine paying over $9 for a gallon of gas!!

    ReplyDelete