View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Tuesday 22 March

A beautiful sunny day, with hardly a cloud in the sky. Went for a short walk around the basin in front of my position, looking for scallops. However, I only found empty shells. Looks as if the oystercatchers beat me to them.

This morning, I received notification that a little boy in the States, Caden Hall, had died six months after being diagnosed with cancer. His mother and other family members had kept us updated through a website called CaringBridge, and over the weekend the situation became desperate. Just before 2 am local time, he died. Now, without being callous, this happens a lot of the time. I am flagging it up to highlight the power of the Internet in a situation like this. Dozens of people who never met the family involved, and will never do so either, flocked to the site to leave a message of sympathy. Some professed to be in tears, or at least quite emotional. I trust these messages will help the family through their grief. I am not a parent, and cannot imagine the torment they will have gone through as their child deteriorated in front of their eyes.

I have downloaded the latest update for my webbrowser, Firefox. It is now at version 4, and it does appear to be working faster than the old version. I suspect that disabling all the incompatible add-ons will have speeded matters up for a start.

A few pics from my walk this afternoon.

Know that sinking feeling?


Houses at Newton


Hooded crow

1 comment:

  1. Dear Guido,
    hi! I loved hearing about you looking for scallops! :) It makes me think of walking in the fresh sea air and smelling the sea and loving it; the waves the sights and the sand...
    So sorry to learn of this young person's tragic death...life as we know it continues to be so fragile and yet so stunningly beautiful
    love,natalie
    Lurkynat

    ReplyDelete