View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Thursday 11 November 2010

Thursday 11 November

Today is the 92nd anniversary of the Armistice of 1918, when the guns fell silent after four years, three months and seven days of carnage. November 11th has since been adopted as a national day of remembrance for the UK and many other countries, who were actively involved in the First World War. The dead of the Second World War and other conflicts since are similarly commemorated on that day. Remembrance Sunday, which will be observed next Sunday (14 November) is the formal occasion of Remembrance.

Regular readers of this blog will be familiar with my research into the war dead of the Isle of Lewis, who number 1300 for the First World War. This number, when viewed in the proper perspective, is quite appalling.

Total population of Lewis in 1911: about 30,000
Total male population: about 15,000
Total number who were in active service, including the Merchant Navy: about 6,000
Total number killed between August 1914 and November 1918: about 1100
Total number drowned in the sinking of HMY Iolaire on 1 January 1919: about 200

1 comment:

  1. (((Guido)))
    Very interesting history. I love your posts because I always learn something new. Thank you!
    Sorry I have been missing for awhile, but life changes things and not much one can do about it sometimes. But now I'm ready to start blogging no matter what anybody says (you know who)...lol. I've missed it so much!
    Here is my new blog address: http://coffeebooksliving.blogspot.com/
    It looks a little baron but I'm working on it. My goal today is to get an entry in and spruce it up a little bit :)
    BIG HUGS, Gayla

    PS: Is there a website or local newspaper online that I can read more about Isle of Lewis and the First World War?

    ReplyDelete