View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Tuesday 26 October 2010

Tuesday 26 October

11.30pm, and the wind is howling outside. A southerly wind, force 7, and the mercury at 13C. Yes, nearly midnight and it's still very mild. Today, the funeral of Lewis aid worker Linda Norgrove was held. It was all over the BBC and STV/ITV channels, so I just want to commend the broadcasters for a dignified and sensitive approach to this occasion. It showed Timsgarry and Ardroil as I have come to know it many a time: under the cover of mist and cloud. An appropriate setting.

An echo from the time of Saddam Hussein came through today, with the verdict on his former foreigh minister, Tariq Aziz: death by hanging. It is nearly four years ago that Saddam himself was hanged, and much has changed in Iraq. I do not know if it is for the better; it certainly could not get any worse, but I'm not getting the impression of vast and lasting improvements there.

This morning, I looked up further details for several more Lewis casualties from WW1 on whom I do not have very much information. My list of queries still stands at 100 (out of 1300), and most of them I will not be able to resolve, using the resources currently at my disposal. With Remembrance Sunday (November 14th) approaching rapidly, I'll try to clear up as many queries as I can.

I'll have a picture post tomorrow in addition to the normal entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment