View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Tuesday 13 October 2009

Tuesday 13 October

Overcast and windy this morning, but as yet dry. The rainfall radar suggests the odd spot of rain is possible.

I am sad to report the death of my aunt at the age of 70. She was the youngest sister of my mother who passed away nearly 18 months ago.

Inverness could lose a landmark building to the wrecking ball, if councillors vote to demolish Viewhill House, the city's former youth hostel. I remember staying there in 1996, before the new hostel was built on the eastern outskirts of the city centre. Viewhill House was built 170 years ago by an engineer who constructed the Caledonian Canal alongside Thomas Telford. The below picture, from July 1996, shows the view from the building. 

2 comments:

  1. You have my heartfelt sympathies for the loss of your aunt. Slowly I'm am loosing all of my aunts and uncles too. My parents have both been gone several years now. It is sad to see them go. I am now becoming the 'older' generation. Time passes so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear the news about your Aunt ~
    and it will be a great shame if they tear down that old Landmark ~ why do councils need to remove these beautiful old buildings ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete