View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 19 October 2009

Classical music

Rachmaninoff
The link plays a recording of a record, which is more than 50 years old. Jose Iturbi, who died in 1980, plays Rachmaninoff's Prelude no 3 in c# minor. The recording is deeply personal, as it was one of the records that my mother gave to my father on his birthday in the late 1950s. Technical quality is not terribly good, and that's not just due to the method of recording - holding a mike in front of an audio speaker. The record itself is a tad crackly. This record set me off on a journey around the world of classical music, which I explored using the BBC World Service's programs in the 1980s and 90s. The late Gordon Clyde, who died last year, presented The Pleasure is Yours, until 1990, followed by Brian Kay and Gordon's personal friend Richard Baker. I recorded pieces of classical music on cassette tape - and that tally stood at about 200 tapes some 6 years ago. I have not added since.

I am a very critical listener, and entertain pop music only on sufferance, as the musical quality is usually measured in the negative ranges on a scale of 1 to 10. Exceptions apply, such as these guys from 1977. Did I mention I play the piano?

2 comments:

  1. Gee, Guido, I am so glad to learn you are such a classical music buff and even play the piano. I am going to listen to this but not right at the moment because I just came home tired. I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love nearly all genres of music.I USED to play piano & that's where my early love of classical came from and I never lost it. I don't love POP but tolerate it as I have granddaughters and I heat a lot of it. I detest RAP. I understand that it appeals to some. I think it's almost a sin to call it music. LOL I listened to the song on the link. I liked it very much. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope you're well.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete