View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 6 April 2009

Obama - either way

I am interested to note the starkly divergent views on Barack Obama, now that he has been in office for some 10 weeks. I cannot help but notice the distrust and cynicism with which he is being greeted in some sections of American society - and I am not being personal towards anyone on here. As far as I can tell, people in the USA are deeply mistrusting of all politicians. Even a new broom like Obama appears to be instinctively treated with that approach. The man is a great speaker, but the final reckoning will lie in his actions, and the results of those actions. From my position, 3,500 miles away in Europe, it is not possible to judge whether what I see on the TV or on here is a reliable guide towards Mr Obama's actions.

At the moment, the president is in Europe and Asia, and seems to be hitting the right notes most of the time. Everybody is falling over him, and probably quite relieved to see a new broom who is speaking a different tone to his predecessor(s). Again, actions speak louder than words. But, 10 weeks is a very short term to judge any politician newly in power.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought about it along those lines, Guido, but you're right. I'd say that our President is getting a much better reception overseas than from many here at home. Kind of odd, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with your Guido, give the man a chance to do the job he was elected for, and anyone expecting an about turn in 10 weeks is not really for change.

    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete