View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Wednesday 18 February 2009

Sheep notes

Three years ago, someone reported a lamb head-butting a golden eagle near Balallan in Lewis. On another occasion, a golden eagle was seen running on the ground after rabbits. Personally, I once was in a car which was forced to stop on the B8011 road in Lewis because two (female) sheep decided to have it out there and then in the middle of the bridge across the Grimersta River, 3 miles west of Garynahine. Only after they had stopped head-butting each other was the vehicle able to proceed.

Grimersta River at the bridge

Sheep, unfortunately, are frequent victims of road traffic. It is up to the owner to remove the remains from the roadside. Whether it is such a good idea to dump the carcass in the ditch is questionable; I once had the doubtful pleasure of watching a sheep's remains slowly disintegrating in the ditch beside the cattlegrid at Marybank. You can't help but notice it when you walk past. If only on account of the smell.

Carcass at the Marybank cattlegrid, July 2005

Sheep are held to be stupid animals, but that is not really fair. If possible, a ewe will go back to the spot where it was born itself to give birth. At this time of year, when lambing time is nearly here, any sheep that ends up on its back may not be able to regain its feet - and could die. I have righted several sheep in remote parts of Lewis which I found on their backs. They were happy to run off at once. Others that I found in distress were beyond help - their eyes had been pecked out. The one I pulled out of a bog near Loch Eastaper, north of Laxay, was very grateful - and immediately started tearing at the grass.

Sheep and lamb at Bragar, May 2005

5 comments:

  1. I remember the great joy I felt when my dad gave me a little black pet lamb named Black Wooley. I was happy until I found out they were serious about killing Black Wooley. I would not eat any of the meat and refused to ever have a pet lamb again for the adults to kill, and then I got a pet pig whose mother rejected it, and the whole business started all over again. It's kind of you to put a sheep in distress back on its feet. I always took such an interest in all the livestock when I was young. So now I like to see photos of sheep, horses, etc. And green pastures even if they are as far away as Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((((Guido))) I LOVE you for helping these sheep! God Bless your sweet heart :). I absolutely adore sheep and agree with you that they are not even close to being stupid animals. No way are they stupid! Actually, they're quite intelligent. The picture you posted of the Mama and baby is just so darn cute. Awwwwww. My entire life I have refused to go anywhere near a lamb dish. Once my Mother in law prepared it for dinner and I very politely said "No thank you, the salad is just fine." But it was revolting to look at.
    Really great entry Guido!
    Huggers, Gayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be roaming all over the countryside trying to right all the fallen sheep. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww...hugs to you my hero for righting a downed sheep!!! I know for a fact that sheep are not stupid in the least. In fact, ours behave much like dogs. They know the routine and come running when called and always greet me upon my arrival at the barn. They follow us around and when we say "go to your pasture" and point they'll go in their meadow. They know that means the feed or gas trucks are coming in and they need stay out of harms way. The lamb is just darling in your picture. Keep up the good work for the sheep!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I`ve always rather liked sheep Guido and I don`t think they are stupid either. I heard about the lamb and the golden eagle this morning on the radio and I must admit that I admired the little thing for having a go. I didn`t realise that sheep can`t right themselves if they fall on their backs. I do remember however, Jim being smartly bitten by a lamb that he was stroking...oh dear, I did laugh...lol! :o))

    Love Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete