View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 9 February 2009

Monday 9 February

Overcast day, but it started brilliantly sunny. Recent snowfalls on the Scottish mountains have left them eminently visible on the distant horizon - I'm about 40 to 70 miles from the mainland. Sunrise this morning at 8 was a blaze of colours, and in one of my later entries I'll link to a few images.

I am horrified to learn that the death toll of the Australian wildfires could exceed 200. It is indeed incomprehensible that someone could deliberately start, if not restart, those fires, knowing that they would be fanned out of control by the strong winds. The stories are heartrending, and I'm referring to the news media for details.

Bishop Williamson, who gained infamy in recent times as a Holocaust denier, has been sacked from the post as director of a seminary in Argentina. It now emerges that the Vatican was unaware of his views regarding the Holocaust, and Pope Benedict XVI has expressed his unreserved support for Jews. I find it a wee bit incomprehensible that these views were unknown to the Holy See.

1 comment:

  1. I am praying for those affected by those terrible fires. It is incomprehensible for sure. We started the day with a brilliant full moon in the western sky on the way to work this morning then a little sun. Now it is overcast but the snow is still melting!

    ReplyDelete