View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Saturday 7 February 2009

Health matters

In the period that I have been writing Northern Trip (on AOL) and Atlantic Lines, I have come out very outspoken against the Big Brother programme and its participants. More so, since BB is actually a Dutch invention. One object of my objections was Jade Goody, a contestant in the 2002 edition of the show in the UK, who stood out for having a big mouth that was commonly engaged before her brain was. A few years ago, she gained more infamy by participating in a Celebrity version of BB and opening her mouth too wide again.

Ms Goody was diagnosed with bowel cancer last August, and it has since emerged that the disease has spread. She has used her celebrity status to promote awareness of cancer, which is a good thing. Last night, Jade underwent a 4-hour operation to remove a growth on the bowel, which was causing much pain. Whilst realising that metastatic cancer is not usually curable, I do hope that Jade's illness has a positive outcome. I am happy at any rate that she is using her status as a celebrity for a positive cause.

7 comments:

  1. i am TRULY sorry for this happening to anyone. Please keep us posted on the future outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen the US version. I am really sorry that Jade, or anyone, for that matter, has to go through such a serious illness. As you said, at least she is helping to raise awareness. I pray she will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so sorry for Jade, she is so young and has two little boys too. I truly hope she makes a good recovery.

    Love Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad for her, I do hope she gets well regardless of her previous actions.

    I may be the only person in the US who has never seen any of the BB shows. I know nothing about how it operates or any of the people on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know her at all, but very sad anyway. And VERY nice of YOU to post this, too!! You're so REAL, Guido!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jade was diagnosed with cervical cancer last August - she has admitted that she ignored abnormal smear results and failed to return to hospital for treatment. Now it has spread to her bowel, liver and groin.
    How very sad for this young mother - and a lesson to all young girls to have smear tests and have any necessery treatment.

    Jane
    http://a-journey-of-another-kind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen Big Brother but I do feel sorry for this young girl who has two children. I do hope they can prolong her life so that she can watch her boys grow up. I've had an abnormal smear result, she was very silly to ignore hers. Jeannette xx

    ReplyDelete