View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Saturday 14 February 2009

Evening notes

It is reported tonight that former BB contestant Jade Goody only has months to live, following a diagnosis of metastatic cancer - cancer that has spread. Her partner has proposed to her, and she is getting her affairs in order. You can only admire her bravery - I have never pulled any punches in the past in voicing my less than favourable opinion of this celebrity, but in a situation like this, I am prepared to alter my view.

On an equally gloomy note, I was reminded of Torvill and Dean's ice-dancing triumph in Sarajevo in the Winter Olympics of 1984. Their 4-minute routine to the strains of Ravel's Bolero has gone down in the history books, but in my mind, the name Sarajevo has become synonymous with brutality on a breathtaking scale in the early 1990s. One of its perpetrators, Radovan Karadjic, is currently standing trial in The Hague on an indictment of war crimes; number two, Ratko Mladic, is still at large.

It made me quite ill today to view a picture of a woman who had not cut her fingernails in 30 years. They had grown to a combined length of 28 feet (8.4 m) - and she lost them in a car accident. How on earth can you live with nails like this?


Right folks, I'm off to bed - hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day.

11 comments:

  1. I never heard of Jade Goody but did read the link. What a young age to have such a fate. And it started from cervical cancer? Scares me because my youngest was very lucky to avoid cancer of the cervix. I remember Torvil and Dean well. Love ice dancing. I'm hoping that soon you will feel some brightness again, Guido.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade Goody is being slagged off by many in the meida about appearing on tv and in magazines and of course the sun telling her story and having it filmed...Yet not one of them slagged off Terry Pratchett for doing basically the same about his alzheimers...Jade has brought to attention of many woman the essential need to a) have regular smear tests done and b) if you don't agree with what your doctor has told you then go get a 2nd opinion pronto...It is disgusting and damning of our NHS that her cervical cancer was undiscovered for FOUR years...That was despite her collapsing with bleeding several times, being in severe pain and having smears that weren't quite right...She actually has very good grounds to sue our NHS but refuses to do so...She may not be the brightest and she may not be the cleverest but she doesn't deserve what has happened to her...She doesn't deserve to be vilified in the media about her speaking out and filming her ordeal...No-one does and everyone deals with things in their own way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this woman on some talk show. There are a lot of things I wonder how she does with these super long nails! LOL

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. those nails are a combination of ridiculous and disgusting. how does she ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too feel sorry for Jade although I never had much time for her. It is tragic for anyone at such a young age especially with young childen involved and that must worry her. Her mother wants custody and so does her boyfriend, who is a convicted criminal, wears a tag and has to be at home by 7 p.m. I am not sure that I like all the media attention that goes with this story but I know she is trying to raise as much money as she can to ensure that her boys have a good education and future.

    As for those fingernails, they are absolutely disgusting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose they are good for scratching your back and feet but how do you do anything else??? My heart goes out to Jade Goody.
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  7. she lost her fingernails in a car accident? I could never get any work done with nails that long! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in full agreement about Sarajevo, it will always ring of brutality to me. I've only heard the most bare info on Jade, but I feel the same way when someone brings up Ted Kennedy. Never cared for much of his policies(except for education-stellar) or for him, but that doesn't affect my sincere sorrow regarding what he is going thru.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so sad about Jade ~ such a young person to be given such terrible news ~ I have never watched her ~ But I hope she will be able to put aside some money for her children ~ which I think is her intention ~ and I say Good Luck to her ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine how she grew nails like this. Mine always break at a certain point. She must have had elements of the claw in them, but there is no end to what people will do to get their picture in the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewwww, those nails are disgusting and she obviously has someone to do everything for her since there isn't anyway she can do anything for herself. Silly.

    ReplyDelete