View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 2 February 2009

The epic journey - part 1

All seemed well this morning, when I left at 7.45 to go to the railwaystation at Arnhem. Schoolkids rode the bus 1 stop (quarter of a mile) to school - no, five minutes' walk really is too far today. Left Arnhem on the train at 8.46, as per schedule, but things started to go awry when we stopped at Amsterdam's Bijlmer station. Normally, the service would branch off direct to Schiphol Airport, but due to a points failure, we had to go straight ahead to Amsterdam Central Station, thence back south to the airport. This took rather long, and we arrived 25 minutes late. No problem, I had planned to arrive 2 hours ahead of schedule. Not knowing I'd depart 2 hours behind of schedule.

Heavy snow had closed Heathrow, and Gatwick was the only airport open around London. So, boarded the plane and it set off at 2pm - to arrive into Gatwick at 2pm. Don't forget about the hour's time difference between the continent and the UK. It was murky and snowy out there, but the runway was clear. I hared through the airport towards the departures lounge - to be met by a scene of mayhem. All domestic flights were cancelled - including my onward connection to Edinburgh. That put a serious spanner in the works. It meant an extra overnight stay. But my baggage was put through to Stornoway, so I had to go and salvage that. Thanks, Gatwick luggage staff: it worked. Next step, a bed for the night. From there, I hoped to get some internet access (which I'm using to type this), and by 4.30pm, I was on my way to a rather expensive little hotel at the back of beyond. All as a result of a foot of snow in southern England. It did look very pretty by the way.

Meanwhile at the airport, dozens of people were sitting in a colossal queue at the enquiries desk, waiting to reschedule their flights. This queue meant a 5 hour wait. No thanks. I rang the travel agent who had booked this flight (on the web), and they rebooked me on the 8.25 to Glasgow, which (combined with a 5 hour wait at Glasgow) will put me into Stornoway at 4pm tomorrow. Well, seeing is believing.

Thanks to some sandwiches from my dad, I had not quite starved, but I was hungry by 6 o'clock. Food wasn't served till 7, and when I did order it took 45 minutes to arrive. Because the place was bombed out. Tomorrow, a taxi will pick me up at 7 am to return me to the paradise called Gatwick Airport.

Those on Facebook are already aware of this odyssee - I'm taking the opportunity to give further details.

8 comments:

  1. The snow in England is on the news over here! Sounds like quite a mess. I hope you make it home safely, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow does tend to put a hamper on things for sure. Sorry you had an overnight but things could be worse. I once spent the night in an airport terminal on a hard plastic seat. And I only had crackers as a snack til arriving at my destination the next day about noon. Count your blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Guido what an odyssey!
    hugs,natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you made it home without further delay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lets us know when you make it home. Good this you had you lap top, That does help to pas the time, Did you takw a camera to get anty pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update. When you read my last comment ..yesterday...you will see you were in my thoughts..I feared you were having a horrendous journey. We had some snow here in Wiltshire but not nearly as much as the eastern side of the country..and this morning the sun is just comming out and nice blue sky so hopefully when the temps. rise things will start to melt.
    Take care
    Love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh poor Guido - I've seen scenes like this on the news already here in the states. Poor dear, I hope the next leg of your travel goes better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds a noghtmare Guido! I've slept in Washington Dulles, San Francisco and Chicago airports! They aren't the nicest of places when planes are flying but when they stop the airport feels like a prison! I'm glad you finally made it home to Stornoaway. Jeannette xx

    ReplyDelete