View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Thursday 19 February 2009

Closing notes

Went out on the bus at 2.30pm for a wee trip to the Callanish Stones, 18 miles west of here. It was freezing cold, although the mercury was at 7C. The Stones sit on the top of a broad hill, and are very exposed to any amount of wind. Whether the flattened grass and broken shrubs had anything to do with the January 17th hurricane is not entirely clear. Also went for a walk to the nearby quayside, where that little blue and white boat is slowly sinking into the mud. At 4.30pm, the bus turned up to take us back to Stornoway the long road - 27 miles through Carloway and Barvas. It was a quiet afternoon, with hardly a sound, apart from the wind. Pictures are uploading as I type.

I also had the good news that my camera will be returning to me early in the new week. It had to go in for repairs just after New Year, when it gave up the ghost. My father very kindly gave me his camera to use in the meantime, and I have taken just over 100 pictures with it since I took it into fulltime use on February 3rd.

I watched some good television tonight; Sky 534 had the closing episode of Andrew Marr's programme on Britain from the air, and Billy Connolly is touring Canada. I did not watch Jade Goody's programme - I saw some recent pics of her, and the poor woman looks ghastly. Neither did I finish watching that absolute cr*p about St Kilda, hosted by Kate Humble. I can't stand Springwatch / Autumnwatch on account of the chemistry between her and Bill Oddy, but the absolute garbage she and co-presenters came out with about St Kilda put the shutters on for me.

A few pictures from this afternoon:

Houses at Callanish


Callanish Stones and Loch Roag


Boat at Callanish Pier


Carloway

4 comments:

  1. The Callanish Stones are so intruiging, the boat doesn't look as if it is doing too well though. Looks so wide open and unpopulated, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the story on the Callanish stones? Are they similar to Stonehenge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you managed a wee run today, I do love the standing stones they can be look quite earie at times... I to enjoyed the TV last night..now that has to be news !! I so enjoyed Billy Connely's start of his trip round Canada, espcially as all the places he stopped at(other than Gander in Newfoundland never sopped therer!) I had been to, it brought back such wonderful memories
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete