View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Saturday 17 January 2009

17 January

My attention is focused on an Atlantic low-pressure system that is currently heading our way. Its central pressure will deepen from 980 mbar at midnight last night to 945 mbar tonight. That's a very fast rate of development, and the weather charts tell me to expect very high winds. Gusts to 90 mph are forecast for the night. We're battening down the hatches up here. At the moment, it is bright and sunny, with a stiff breeze from the south. It is cold, only +4C. I know, over in the States there are places down to -35C at the moment (that's -30F).

The search for the 21-year old Merchant Navy cadet, missing since Boxing Day, continues in South Uist. The official search has been called off, but individual islanders are still going round.

The credit crunch is a prominent piece of news at the moment, and it is already having quite a serious effect on the economy. Chains of highstreet stores are closing down every day, car producers are feeling the pinch. And in the last four months ago, the oil producing nations around the Arabian peninsula have lost 2.5 trillion dollars in revenue. I am desperately searching for my ounce of compassion.

3 comments:

  1. You better batten down the hatches with that kind of wind heading your way. I haven't been outdoors yet this morning but my weather pixie is showing 1. I will be happy to see 20 at this rate.

    I'll join you on your search for compassion for the oil producing countries since I find it hard to find any myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have provisions in and are prepared to stay indoors. That is some powerful winds coming at you. We had some like that in the fall that were almost hurrican strength. Lots of damage was done. Thankfully we only lost a couple of shingles from the roof top. The oil companies certainly made a fortune in the past few years enough to last them I'm sure until the crunch is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay safe up there in the high winds Guido. We had severe gales here last night and it's still blowing strong! I almost got blown over while walking the hospital site in the middle of the night last night. Hope it calms down soon! Jeannette xx

    ReplyDelete