View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Wednesday 17 December 2008

Wednesday 17 December

The day started with a fierce lightning storm just after midnight. The path of the storm was easily mapped, when the lightning began to strike the electricity pylons which run into the Arnish Substation from the south. Some of the discharges were within half a mile of my position (as it took less than 3 seconds between lightning and thunder). The final bolt was accompanied by half-inch hailstones. Winter is the most likely time we're likely to see thunder; it occurs when the temperature in the cloudtops is 40 degrees C lower than down at groundlevel. At the moment, there is heavy rain and strong winds (force 7). The ferry is not sailing; at present it is tied up at Ullapool. The 5.15 sailing out of Ullapool is under review. Judging by the forecast (winds up to force 9), it will probably be cancelled as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love lightening storms! We don't really have them very often here. This latest storm I only saw ONE little bolt. But, I've been back east and the thunder was so loud I'd have to cover my ears! Very dramatic! I'm glad you were safe during all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds nasty - I imagine not many residents had a good nights sleep with that kind of ruckus going on. I count the seconds between the lightning & thunder too.

    ReplyDelete