View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Sunday 14 December 2008

Sunday 14 December

Christmas just 11 days away, and I notice people going shopping on a Sunday and at all sorts of hours of the day and night. Not here - shops (with one exception) are closed until tomorrow morning.

The northeast of the US has been visited by a severe ice-storm, from New York state eastwards. This has downed large portions of the electricity grid - so don't be surprised if some journalers don't make an appearance. Several people have died through carbon monoxide poisoning, by using oil-powered generators in an unventilated space. The weather here is fairly bright and calm.

Down in New Zealand, a climber has died on Mt Cook, after he fell 500 metres / 1,600 feet. His companion was left in the open for 2 days, until a helicopter found a weather window to rescue him off the mountain. Summer is nigh down there, but you cannot underestimate the hazards of mountaineering.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I saw the ice storm video... sometimes, JUST SOMETIMES, I'm SO GLAD I live in Southern California... I just know I couldn't handle that kind of cold with NO HEAT or ELECTRICITY!!!! Prayers going out to each of them, especially that lady with the infant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be shopping, but.....I just don't want to. Meh.
    (Now watch....I'll be out shopping on Christmas Eve because I'm so ill prepared.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no problem with shops closed one day a week, frankly, just to give everyone a day off. (Besides, internet sites are still up for purchases!) Ice storms can be killers...... obviously.

    ReplyDelete