View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Sunday 21 December 2008

Solstice Notes

I'm wondering how many people turned up at Stonehenge this morning, to witness the Winter Solstice. I believe it was cloudy down south. Up here, turning up at the Callanish Stones on this midwinter day is a waste of time. Callanish is a lunar monument, not a solar one.

The port is brimming with three ferries tied up at the moment. The MV Lord of the Isles arrived this afternoon to take over from our usual boat, the MV Isle of Lewis which is due to go for its annual refit. The MV Pentalina B (referred to by everybody as the Iona) continues to cover for the freight ferry Muirneag, still away on its refit to the Tyne. The Muirneag was involved in a grounding earlier this year, when she lost steering and ran onto rocks at the Castle Grounds here in Stornoway, nearly knocking out an early morning jogger in the process.

This will be my final post on here for this year, with the exception of the Remembering Today postings, which will be put up automatically, courtesy Blogger, until January 5th. As I indicated yesterday, I shall be thinking about my future on-line during the holiday period. Early tomorrow morning, I am leaving for Holland, from where I will blog on The Shell Gallery. I intend to continue working on Atlantic Light, my photoblog, over the next 2 weeks.

I shall leave you on here with a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - back on January 6th.



8 comments:

  1. Oh I love your Christmas graphics ! Again have a safe trip and an enjoyable Christmas with your family in Holland. Linda in snowy & cold western Washington

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing about today is that after this day we'll gain a few more minutes of daylight each day. The darkest day of the year will be over and Spring will come again. Have a safe trip. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always an experience catching up on your world. Till the Epiphany when we see you again, God bless you, Sweet Saturnalia and warmest Winter Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe trip Guido, enjoy your time with your Father and the family. Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a much happier 2009

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the very best to you and your family Guido.
    May you find peace and contentment in the New Year.
    God bless!
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh when I see Donna's designs I feel a pang as she was able to do designs that are so apropos for some people. I went to her blog after reading your entry about her on Call for Support. I hope you enjoy your holidays in Holland, I will check out the Shell Gallery while you are gone! Come back soon. I got a Hammond World Atlas in the thrift store yesterday a very big book, so if you tell me where your town is I will be able to find it on the map and I am going to look for Stornoway (sp), too and where Genii of the Lakes lives. I bought this atlas to keep track of my friends abroad. I watche Helen Mirren last night, too, on the latest Prime Suspect. She is one of my dear friends, too! (just kidding) Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Guido,
    Have a wonderful merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with your family!
    And Happy Solstice!
    love and hugs,natalie

    ReplyDelete