View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Tuesday 30 December 2008

End of year

It's 12.30 am in Holland, and it's the start of the end of the year. In 12 hours time, 2009 will start its inexorable march into our lives on the far side of the globe. In the past few years, I would join my pal Petar Vodogaz from Sydney as he heralded the New Year, whilst the clock in Stornoway was only on 1pm. Eleven hours later, he would come on to wish me happy New Year.

This year, things are different. Tomorrow afternoon, I'm on a family visit, after which it'll be a quiet evening in. I'll be toasting 2009 with my father, remembering those who are no longer with us, who left us during the year. I'll be thinking of others who suffered losses, like the friend who lost both parents at the end of the summer - losing me as a friend in the process. Those in the J-land community who lost loved ones this year and before.

I have changed the picture on the heading of Atlantic Lines. It is a bright image of a beach at Port of Ness in Lewis, taken in March of this year. I hope it will be indicative of the new year to come, for all who read this.

Happy New Year.

See you on the Shell Gallery tomorrow.

13 comments:

  1. Enjoy the time with your family, nothing is more precious. Hope you have a wonderful New Year and that 2009 is a great year for you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Guido... enjoy bringing the year in... love the new photo!!! Tried to get chat to open but no can do will try again.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you and your Father!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guido, the new picture is a great one.
    Happy New Year tlo you and your family. Be fine in 2009, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the header you have. It seems much more bright and cheerful. A good omen to start off a new year. Enjoy your evening with your Father. Time is so precious. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture is gorgeous. Wishing you a happy new year. We'll be a bit behind you in getting to 2009 but we'll catch up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you too and so happy you'll be with your Father to ring it in.
    Take care, Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the new picture. I can hear the surf from here. Happy New Year to you and your dad. Linda in Washington

    ReplyDelete
  9. best wishes to you and your father guido.tc mort

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Guido.
    Another beautiful photo. Love it.
    Sending love and best wishes for a much better 2009.
    Hugs to you and your Dad.
    Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new picture is full of energy and life Guido.
    May that be true of you for the New Year.
    God bless you and your Dad.
    My good wishes to you both.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sure hope you and your dad enjoyed your new years!

    ReplyDelete