View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Thursday 13 November 2008

Thursday 13 November

Pouring with rain out here, not very nice at all.

I was horrified to hear of the death of a baby of 17 months in north London. Once again, social services appear to have failed dismally in their duty of care, not picking up on danger signs. Whether it is a system failure of social services generally, or the fact that the odd failure is of such a horrific nature is not a conclusion for me to draw. Over the past few years, I have encountered several people who were reluctant to tell me that their job was with social services.

I am contemplating my continued membership of Facebook. Although I joined in December 2007, I only became more active on it following the demise of AOL Journals. I cannot say it was a wholly positive experience, so do not be surprised if any of you who are on my friends list on there are notified of my departure.

9 comments:

  1. well, you know my feelings Guido from what I wrote yesterday and what I have written today. Being in social services must be a hard job, treading the fine line between getting it right and getting it wrong. However, in the case of this baby I see no way they could not have noticed something was wrong.

    I feel the same about facebook Guido. It really is not for me. All this giving gifts, sending flowers. Not that I am an uncaring person, you know that but it is just not the sort of site that I like. I use it rarely now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All over the world, we hear of infants & children in similar circumstances.
    Such a tragedy, so sad.
    Not a following of Facebook, or any of the other such places. AOL was my "place", now Blogspot is. :) Not very tech challenged so I limit myself to just one spot. LOL
    TY for recent help re 'blog sz' question.
    Huggies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannont understand how they missed the ill treatment of Little baby P ~ those responsible must be brought to book ~ some years ago when a little girl was murdered in her own home in the same area they said this would not happen again ~ but it has and with the same Social Services ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am on facebook and hate it. I have a good friend who is obsessed, as is my daughter. I am sorry to hear of an innocent childs death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poor little boy ,the news of this has shocked the nation ,David Careron was so angry on the news on tv broadcasting from parliament last night ...Im on face book too ,but really dont get it lol ..love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. facebook was never meant to be a serious site, loathed it at first. now im a fan. lot of good been done on face and yearbooks. take care guido,whatever you decide mort

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am on facebook and must admit i like it...I initially joined to play scrabulous with friends i had and it's grown to other games played with them since...My facebook isn't open for all and sundry to see though as i have my profile set to be unseen unless someone is a friend...Must admit that the majority of my friends on there are people i have met in person...The case of babyP is thankfully rare...Just that these cases make national headlines...Then again there have been cases locally which are similar which haven;t made national headlines

    ReplyDelete
  8. My girls both migrated from MySpace to Facebook. I've never even attempted it because I'm a lost soul and would need too much tutoring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope all who were involved get what they deserve. This is human depravity at it's worse. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete