View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Friday 17 October 2008

Friday 17 October

Another day of sunshine and showers, and not feeling too cold.

I'm intending to shift my email somewhere else, away from AOL. That is about the only thing still tying me to America Off-line, and there are rumours galore to the effect that AOL will soon disappear. How that will affect us in the UK is a total mystery, and I'd rather not wait to be confronted with another 30-day notice for shutdown of the email service.

I've been trying to put Gmail onto my Windows Mail (a Vista novelty), but blimey, isn't it a total pain. Had to search high and low on the Net to find a solution. Don't particularly like Gmail, so I may end up on Yahoo at some stage. I'm already using that, as well as Hotmail, so a bit of rationalisation is in order.

10 comments:

  1. I have tried Gmail and I cannot make head nor tail of it. At the moment I am sticking with aol and waiting to see what happens. Later I shall probably change my ISP completely so I am not changing email just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like Gmail but have had a Hotmail account for years, but will soon be migrating my AOL adddy's to Gmail and getting rid of AOL altogether.

    Yasmin

    http://cayasm-isntshegreat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I moved to BT as an ISP and am very happy.

    I haved my own mail servers though that's a better solution

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also heard the rumors about AOL going totally defunct. I haven't tried Gmail as of yet - I've had a yahoo email for as long as I can remember and have the option to go with my DSL provider too. I've been thinking of changing but my gosh it has been 15 years or so with the same email - so many people & businesses have the address. Big sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my main email is on AOL so i hope it stays. If not, i will send you all my other emails that i never use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if I move, and if Jim has his way we very well might, I will most likely use Yahoo! I used to have an email address with them before and had no problem there.

    Love Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have gmail and Yahoo, but never use them. I hope AOL sticks around for email, because like Lisa said, so many businesses and web sites have that as my address! I'd hate to have to go in and change all those.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am trying GMail. My kids love it. I can't figure out how to add animations in the mail or pictures. I'm going to have them give me some lessons or try hotmail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i, as well, have gmail and yahoo mail accounts, but aol has been my email addy for years and i would hate to have to start all over. whatever you choose to do, please let us all know so that we can keep up with you. i don't have many male internet buddies and would hate to lose one.

    blessings,

    regina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope we don't lose AOL email because it's my favorite, but I guess it'll happen sooner or later. I have gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail, as well as one with our cable/internet provide that I don't think I've ever used. Perhaps I'll give each one a look and decide what I'll eventually do.

    ReplyDelete