View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Wednesday 14 July 2010

Wednesday 14 July

The French are celebrating their national holiday, Bastille Day today. In French, it is "Quatorze Juillet", which is the day in 1789 that the infamous Bastille prison was stormed in Paris, which sparked off the French Revolution.

Here in Stornoway, a warm wind is blowing today as the ferry comes in on the first of its three calls today. It will bring another load of festival goers. This week will see the Hebridean Celtic Festival, with an (eye-watering) 20,000 revellers expected to pack the streets of Stornoway - which is a town of barely 8,000. On the water, this week sees Sail Hebrides, with an action packed programme on water and ashore. I'm attending a concert by folkrock band Runrig, which has been going since the late 1970s. They last played in Stornoway in 2005, a concert that I went to as well.

1 comment:

  1. The festival would suit me Guido.Runrig.... I like your taste.I have a few of there u tubes in my favourites.ENJOY... hope the concerts a blast.I have the builder in right now so I might just listen to them whilst he is busy LOL.Take care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete