View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Tuesday 10 March 2009

Tuesday 10 March

Clear end to the day, as the sun is just about setting now. Sun was out for most of the afternoon, after one or two showers in the morning.

I am pleased to note that two arrests have been made in connection with the murder of a policeman in Northern Ireland last night. This follows hard on the heels of the killing of two soldiers in a barracks elsewhere in the province. The two factions alleged to be involved in the incidents have been roundly condemned.

Gerry McCann, father of the disappeared girl Madeleine McCann, has spoken out critically about sections of the media in connection with her disappearance in 2007. Speculation was branded as less than helpful. Mr McCann has every right to be critical of the press, but he should remember that he courted publicity quite deliberately with the aim of tracing his daughter. Madeleine remains missing, nearly 2 years after she disappeared from her parents' holiday apartment in Portugal.

7 comments:

  1. Yes Guido,I heard both those news reports ,I hope the people in Ireland are soon brought to justice ,and agree with you regarding the Macanns .....love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guido I saw these reports on the news tonight ~ I am horrified at what has happened in Ireland ~ as I think everyone else is ~ and feeling sad for the Macanns I don't know how I would react at the kidnap of my daughter ~ but I do know I would use any and every thing available to me to find her ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I`m shocked that the violence has erupted again in Northern Ireland. Its obvious there are elements that want the troubles to start again. I hope they find the people responsible for the outrages but somehow I doubt it. I agree with Ally with regard to the McCanns. If I were in their position I`d do all that was humanely possible to find my lost child.

    Love Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the face of Madeleine first appeared on the Web here in the eastern US, even though it was highly unlikely that she was here, I looked into the face of every young girl I saw. Hopefully one day someone will recognize her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was sunny here today too but only got up to around 42* F. I was out in the car so it felt warmer. There's still remmants of snow in the shady areas but they claim we've seen the last of it. (I'll believe it when several weeks go by and there's no more flakes falling). Bob's up skiing today & it should be perfect conditions with the new snow from yesterday and a nice clear day today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our day was much like yours, except perhaps warmer. We had a few showers early, then mostly sunny and in the 70s. I'm glad they have made arrests in the Ireland shooting. I heard about that on the news this morning, but hadn't heard any follow up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my family is in Northern Ireland, I have witnessed some of this troublemaking, what a tragedy, that a minority can sabotage what strides have been made...

    ReplyDelete