View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Monday 2 March 2009

Monday 2 March

Pretty dismal day, with frequent showers, a stiff breeze and lowering temperatures. The sun tries to put in an appearance, but that doesn't really help.

Some good news this morning, in that the Scottish Government has announced it will act against the availability of cut-price alcohol. Alcohol mis-use is a major problem in Scotland, causing costs at least £4oo million a year for the NHS alone, not to mention the misery and death associated with it. In some shops, alcohol costs less than mineral water. The Scottish Government now seeks to introduce a minimum unit price and encourages a minimum age for purchasing alcohol of 21 - for local authorities to decide. A social responsibility fee will be levied on supermarkets. Of course, not everybody is happy about that. In certain quarters, getting drunk out of your mind is a rite of passage, and having that postponed to 21, tut.

4 comments:

  1. It is bitter cold and windy here. Thankfully no more snow. Hope your Monday is a good one

    ReplyDelete
  2. 21 is the age here. Not sure it has made a difference, though. Good luck to the govt. I hope they do make the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am for anything that might cut down alcohol consumption in any country. I hope it works. I wonder if that is what ailed my father, love of the drink passed on to him by his Scottish grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am for curbing the start of drinking. Nothing good ever came of it. Here you must be 21 and produce an ID but it is easy to make an ID or get an older person to buy for you, so not so much curbed. I'm surprised it is cheaper than mineral water and so accessible. I did not know about that there in Scotland. It's expensive here but stops no one who wants it. With that being said, I still miss my father who died at 57 from a lifetime of abusing it. No good ever came from it. They should make billboards that show the truth, spouses with blackened eyes and terrified children instead of flashy cars and attractive ladies. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete