View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Friday 20 February 2009

Friday 20 February

Pouring with rain, bit of a breeze going - wet day in Stornoway, what more do you want for an excuse to stay in all day. There is a stack of good books to be read, I may do a bit of work on my collection of pictures on Flickr. On the other hand, someone is going out to Ness later on, and I might just join them for the ride. No chance of taking much in the way of pictures in weather like this. We shall see what transpires.

47 people on board a Boeing 747-400 were hurt when their plane hit severe turbulence east of Tokyo. The flight from Manila to Los Angeles via Tokyo was coming into land at the Japanese capital when turbulence struck. Six people flew up and hit the ceiling of the cabin hard, leaving several holes. They are seriously ill in hospital in Tokyo.

I have less than pleasant memories of a flight from Rome to London in 2001, when the plane hit turbulence over Southwest London. The flight had flown straight into a rainstorm with very strong up- and downdrafts. One person suffered a panic attack, another had an epileptic fit. The exclamation of the person next to me, as we touched down, was "Terra!" - Earth. Otherwise, it was eerily quiet as we bumped up and down.

4 comments:

  1. I love the rain, & I say go for that ride.
    I also think good books to be read, and appreciating the joy of that, is a wonderful thing. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several inches of snow fell here overnight. Right now the sun is peeping through but it is still well below freezing. Tomorrow we should get more snow. At least another 4 weeks of winter here for sure. Whatever you decided to do hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin's wife was in his company plane when it hit turbulence coming in for a landing. It dropped suddenly to within 9 feet of the ground and she and a daughter flew up and hit their heads on the ceiling. She practically had to be carried from the plane, but wait there is more to the story. I dreamed about 4 months before this happened that she was standing in a big empty field and something flew out of the sky and hit her on the head and killed her! In the dream I was warned to write a letter to my cousin warning him his wife was in danger and to try to take extra precautions about her safety. As the way of proof that this was going to happen I was also told his and my uncle who had a bad heart would die within the month. He did, and the next time I saw my cousin's wife she told me this turbulence story, and she never flew in that plane again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember coming back to Omaha, Nebraska from Puerto Rico in the late Spring of 1971 when we hit an unavoidable thunderstorm. the Boeing 727 we were in experienced a great deal of turbulence. Lightning struck the right wing at one point. Two nuns (order unknown) were sitting aft and on the other side of the aisle were going through the rosary--my hubby likes to say their beads were smoking. Our then 3yr-old son got airsick. No one was hurt, though, thank God and bless those nuns. It was a long time before any of us got on a plane again.

    :^) Jan the Gryphon
    http://gryph-wotd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete