View across the Outer Harbour of Stornoway

Thursday 8 January 2009

Four years ago

Was browsing through my archives (remember Northern Trip?), and came across a diary entry for 8 January 2005. At the time, I was in the village of Kershader, 22 miles south of Stornoway, and the bus journey there was a seriously wintry affair, with a thick layer of ice on the road just south of Leurbost. Three days later, hurricane force winds slammed the islands, with gusts up to 134 mph. Five people lost their lives in the South Ford between Benbecula and South Uist, when the two cars they were travelling in were swept into the sea by a huge wave. Since Boxing Day, people have been scouring the island of South Uist for a 21-year old seaman who disappeared under mysterious circumstances. On land, at sea and under water - not a trace.

3 comments:

  1. Though I didn't remember this post in 2005 as I wasn't in JL yet, I read it now and don't see the part about the man who I DO remember you posting about, never to be seen again. I recall that post but not the date, it was chilling. After all this time I'm so sorry the family hasn't been able to bring him home - isn't there a wonderful ode to those who are lost at sea? I hope you're all well and warm up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are not having a repeat of that kind of weather today. That poor man still hasn't been found ~ so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your 2005 post very interesting. I hope the bus driver got to his destination safely after you got off his bus. I'm sure the views were spectacular of the difference in the weather whilst you rode the bus. I could imagine it all by how you described it.
    Sad about the youg man. May he rest in peace.
    I am enjoying a dull overcast day here in the Lakes but it is so much warmer than of late I can't complain at all.
    Batten down the hatches dear chap and stay warm and snug.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete